This heavy iron fragment, charred black by fire, is what remains of the bell that hung inside the tower of the original Winchester Public School. Built in 1865, the building featured 10 school rooms, an office, and a furnace room. The structure was destroyed by fire on October 4, 1899 and a new school building was constructed the following year. The fragment of the bell was saved from the rubble and given to the Winchester Public Library. It is now on display at Old School Museum.